Monday, April 16, 2012


A Permanent Resident Card (USCIS Form I-551) is proof of your permanent resident status in the United States. It also serves as a valid identification document and proof that you are eligible to live and work in the United States.

Although some Permanent Resident Cards, commonly known as “Green Cards,” contain no expiration date, most are valid for 10 years. If you have been granted conditional permanent resident status, the card is valid for 2 years. It is important to keep your card up-to-date. Without a valid card, it may be difficult for you to prove that you are a permanent resident, and this could also affect your ability to travel or to prove your eligibility to work in the United States.

You can apply for a replacement card, or contact Chaudhary Law Office (952) 525-2285 for assistance.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Web site also has the answers to many common questions:

When do I need to renew my Permanent Resident Card?

You should renew your Permanent Resident Card if you were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire within the next 6 months.

If your Permanent Resident Card is valid for only 2 years, you are a conditional resident. You will need to file a petition to remove the conditions of your residence before the card expires. You may file this petition 90 days before your conditional green card expires. If your petition is approved, you will be sent a new Permanent Resident Card valid for 10 years. You do not need to file Form I-90. This is discussed below.

If your card does not have any expiration date on the front, then you have a very old version. Most old versions are no longer valid. Even if your card does not have an expiration date on it, we recommend you apply to renew it.

When do I need to replace my Permanent Resident Card?

Apply to replace your Permanent Resident Card if any information on your card needs to be changed, or if your card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.

Also, if you became a permanent resident before you turned 14 years old, you are required to replace your card when you become 14 years old.

What application do I file to replace or renew my Permanent Resident Card?

To apply to renew or replace your card, use Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. The Form I-90 is available at

How do I file the I-90 to renew or replace my Permanent Resident Card?

Please refer the USCIS Website under Immigration Forms, I-90, for specific filing instructions, and then complete the form. You can also e-file your I-90 at

How do I remove conditions on my 2-year conditional Permanent Resident Card?

Do not use Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. If you are a permanent resident who was granted conditional permanent resident status, you are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of your card expiring.

If your conditional status was based on a marriage, file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

If your conditional status was based on being an investor or entrepreneur, file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

If you do not file the petition to remove the conditions before your card expires, you may lose your permanent resident status. Form I-751 and Form I-829 are available at Instructions for the forms will give you more details. For additional questions, please contact USCIS Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283 or or call Chaudhary Law Office (952) 525-2285.

Contact Us From Anywhere in the U.S.
Satveer Chaudhary
Chaudhary Law Office, PLLC
(952)525-2285 ♦
Free consultation

Satveer Chaudhary is the founding lawyer of Chaudhary Law Office, PLLC.  In practice over 10 years, Chaudhary brings 14 years of legislative experience as a State Senator and Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives to each and every case.At Chaudhary Law Office, our clients come first. Every client is treated with courtesy and is guaranteed effective representation. Practicing in the areas of  Immigration Law, Wills, Divorce, Family Law, Small Business and Criminal Law, we provide free intial consultations to all our clients.

In 2004  Satveer Chaudhary was named the University of Minnesota Law School Alumni of the Year. He was also awarded the Governor’s Certificate of Commendation for the Legal Aid Society of Minnesota, served as Special Assistant to Minnesota Attorney General Hubert H. Humphrey III, and was recognized by the worldwide Asian-Indian community for  his dedicated work, Chaudhary was named to the top-50 non-resident Indians in the world (NRI World  magazine).  

The information provided is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as and does not constitute legal advice. Chaudhary Law Office, PLLC does not seek to represent you based upon your review of this brochure. You should not make legal hiring decisions based merely upon brochures, advertising or other promotional materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment